As an incorporated association, the VLC is identified as an ‘organisation’ and ‘APP entity’, covered by the commonwealth Privacy Act 1988, as amended. The following policy complies with the amended act applicable at 30 October 2014. The act can de downloaded at http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2014C00757. Schedule 1 of the act sets out the Australian Privacy Principles (APP) and applicable standards, rights and obligations in relation to holding, handling, accessing and correcting personal information.
1. The VLC is committed to complying with the Australian Privacy Principles.
2. Personal information held by the VLC is limited to the identity and contact details necessary for the conduct of the ordinary business of the organisation.
3. Membership details are held in a Membership Register maintained by the Secretary and available to all members on request, as required by our Rules of Association. These details are limited to the name of the member and contact details including physical and mailing address, email address and phone number. In the case of the member being an association, this includes the nominated contact of the association. The financial status of members is also held to confirm their eligibility to exercise their vote in conducting the business of the VLC.
4. Regional Delegates of the VLC are publicly identified on the VLC website along with contact details enabling email or phone contact by the landcare community.
5. Committee of Management members provide a brief personal profile available publicly on the VLC website.
6. Executive members of the Committee of Management are publicly identified on the VLC website along with contact details enabling email, phone contact or postal contact by the landcare community.
7. Individuals and member organisations can access the information held about them by contacting the Secretary.
8. Requests for the correction of personal information held will be verified and actioned by the Secretary.
9. Complaints about privacy can be raised with the Secretary and will be referred to the CoM for consideration and action.
10. Personal information will not be disclosed without the express prior permission of the individual.
11. Personal and Sensitive information will only be collected where it is reasonably necessary for the conduct of our functions and activities, and will only be collected directly from the individual to whom it relates.
12. The VLC will not hold unsolicited personal or sensitive information.
13. The VLC will take reasonable steps to ensure the security of information held and protect it from unauthorised access, amendment or disclosure.
14. A copy of this policy is made publicly available here on the VLC website www.vlc.org.au and can be provided as hardcopy on request to the Secretary.